Saturday, January 3, 2009

As many of you may have noticed, I am already behind in my posts for the New Year. I do, however have a legitimate excuse - I forgot my copy of The Shack. You see, the family and I are currently at my folk's house for a much needed break and visit with the family. So with that said I am going to do a short post on something that I am sure everyone is doing in some sort or fashion;

RESOLUTIONS!
Diets, saving money, bad habits, home repairs, etc., etc.; the list goes on and on. We all make them. Amazingly, some even fulfill them, but for me, the question arises, "Are resolutions biblical?" My answer to this question, after some study, is "yes" provided that the resolutions are not only sensible, but according to God's Word and Will.
"We must be sensible in grasping the simple truth that every resolution must be made in dependence on God (Burk Parsons, Tabletalk Magazine, January, 2009; Vol. 33, Number 1). In order to be in accordance with God's will, I encourage you to study His Word beginning with Matthew 6:9-13. To put it plainly, our resolutions must parallel God's resolutions for us.
As we begin this new year, it is my suggestion that you (we) resolve to to accept God's will, whether good or not so good. For Christ made the ultimate resolution some 2000 plus years ago. Though He knew the difficulties, He pressed on. He kept it perfectly and completely and because of this, we now have a mediator as we stand before God.
-blessings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I looked up several Bible verses regarding the word "New" to share with Tom and to help with New Year's resolutions. There is no doubt resolutions are part of God's will - Paul writes continuously about sloughing off the old, or turning from sin, and beginning anew in Christ - it's entirely appropriate! Thanks, Josh!